The Union for Gender Empowerment is a trans feminist service of the Student Society of McGill University (SSMU). Everyone is welcome to use our services regardless of student status! We coordinate an alternative lending library (collection can be seen here); a cooperative pay-what-you-can “shop” (The Co-op) stocking ecologically responsible menstrual products, DIY sex toys, safer sex supplies, and gender empowerment items; and a zine library and distro. Soon, the UGE will stock clean needles and stericups. The UGE also runs trans 101/allyship and anti-oppression workshops for other organizations and projects.
You can find our office and lounge space in room 3, on the 5th floor of 2075 Robert Bourassa. During the Fall and Winter semesters, our office is open every weekday between 10am and 5pm. Summer office hours are more variable and will be posted to the blog.
It is a safe(r) space for people of all genders, accessible to folks who use wheelchairs and is equipped with a microwave, dishes, a kettle, and lots of tea.We also have a fridge and pumping supplies for those who wish to nurse in the space. Stop by to eat lunch and hang out!
The UGE supports the Solidarity City Project and agrees to:
- never ask for information regarding immigration status;
- treat all information regarding other people’s immigration status as strictly confidential, and never share it with government agencies;
- not charge fees based on immigration status;
- implement a policy of non-cooperation with the Canadian Border Services Agency, including barring them from your premises;
- work to make sure that labour and other human rights standards are applied equally to all, without regard to immigration status, in our organizations, workplaces, and communities.