The Union for Gender Empowerment is a trans feminist service of the Student Society of McGill University (SSMU). Everyone is welcome to use our services! We coordinate an alternative lending library (with over a thousand titles!); a cooperative pay-what-you-can “shop” (The Co-op) stocking ecologically responsible menstrual products, DIY sex toys, safer sex supplies, and gender empowerment items; and a zine library. The UGE also runs trans 101/allyship and anti-oppression workshops for other organizations and projects, and has a resource binder with information about abortion services, counseling, and queer/trans-friendly health services in Montreal. Our office and lounge space is located in room 413 of the William Shatner University Centre at 3480 Rue Mctavish.
You can find our office and lounge space in room 413, on the 4th floor of the William Shatner University Centre at McGill University. During the Fall and Winter semesters, our office is open every weekday between 10am and 4pm. Summer office hours are more variable and will be posted to the blog.
It is a wheelchair-accessible safe(r) space for people of all genders, and is equipped with a microwave, dishes, a kettle, and lots of tea! Stop by to eat lunch and hang out!
The UGE supports the Solidarity City Project and agrees to:
- never ask for information regarding immigration status;
- treat all information regarding other people’s immigration status as strictly confidential, and never share it with government agencies;
- not charge fees based on immigration status;
- implement a policy of non-cooperation with the Canadian Border Services Agency, including barring them from your premises;
- work to make sure that labour and other human rights standards are applied equally to all, without regard to immigration status, in our organizations, workplaces, and communities.